Larry Flynt died on February 10, 2021 at his home. The reason of his death was due to heart failure, according to the New York Post. the founder of the Hustler magazine was 78 at the time of his death. While it has been known that he had tons of enemies, he undoubtedly had a lot of accomplishments. He was the one who successfully created an entire empire built upon pornography.
As one of the most successful businessmen, everyone knows that he earned a lot. Can you guess how much was his net worth? If you have no idea, the answer to the question is included in the post so please check out below.
- Full Name: Larry Flynt
- Nick Names: Larry Claxton Flynt, Larry Claxton Flynt, Jr.
- Gender: Male
- Place of Birth: Magoffin County, Lakeville, Kentucky, United States
- Date of Birth: November 1, 1942
- Death: February 10, 2021
- Years Active: 1965-2021
- Nationality: American
- Height: 173 cm
- Father: Larry Flynt Sr.
- Mother: Edith Flynt
- Siblings: Jimmy Flynt, Judy Flynt
- Spouse: Mary Flynt (1961-1965), Peggy Flynt (1966-1969), Kathy Flynt (1970-1975), Althea Leasure (1976-1987, widower)
- Children: Theresa Flynt, Tonya Flynt-Vega, Lisa Flynt, Larry Flynt, Jr.
- Occupation: Publisher, activist, businessman
- Awards: Golden Bear, Golden Globe Award for Best Director – Motion Picture, Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay – Motion Picture, Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor, Los Angeles Film Critics Association Award for Best Supporting Actor, European Film Academy Achievement in World Cinema Award, Paul Selvin Award, Satellite Award for Best Original Screenplay, Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actress – Drama
- Nominations: Academy Award for Best Actor, Academy Award for Best Director, Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama, Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture – Drama, Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture – Drama, Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role, MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance, National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor, Critics’ Choice Movie Award for Best Picture, Producers Guild of America Award for Best Theatrical Motion Picture, Czech Lion Award for Best Foreign Film
The businessman named Larry Flynt had a net worth of $500 million at the time of his death as reported by Celebrity Net Worth. You can do the math on how many magazines he had to sell to earn the amount of wealth he had.
After his Navy career, Larry Flynt started a life as a businessman. In 1965, he purchased a bar located in Dayton, Ohio from his mother. At the time, he spent a total of $1,800 from his savings. After fixing the place, he managed to earned as much as $1,000 in just a week. The profit from the bar was used to buy two more bars. Then, he continued to spread his wings and opened a new higher class bar with nude hostess dancers named the Hustler Club. It was in the year of 1968. Owning one Hustler Club was not enough for him so after opening the first one, he opened some other ones in the other Ohio cities, including Akron, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Toledo. Each of them was grossing between $260,000 and $520,000 each year.
In order to promote his clubs, in 1972, the first Hustler newsletter was created by Larry Flynt. In less than a year, he managed to increase it from four to sixteen pages. A year after that was his hard time because he had to make a decision between refinancing his clubs or declaring bankruptcy due to oil crisis. Fortunately, he was genius and full of ideas. At the time, he decided to turn Hustler Newsletter into an adult magazine instead of choosing these two options. The start up costs were paid by deferring payment of sales taxes on his clubs. In 1974, he published the first issue of Hustler. Within a year, the magazine was selling more than 1 million copies each month. Thanks to the success of the first issue, he managed to pay back his tax debts.
The life of Larry Flynt was not as smooth as what people might think. Once he had to fight a lot of people who thought the thing in the magazine was too explicit. One of those people who were once against him was his distribution company. It is actually not surprising seeing people were against him because he was a bit controversial. Some of the most controversial contents that were included in the early days of the magazine are the first pink shots of the magazine. For those who have no idea, pink shots refer to the photos of the open vulvas. Apart from these pink shots, another most controversial one goes to the paparazzi pictures of former First Lady named Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis who was nude while sunbathing.
In 1976, Larry Flynt made his own privately held company known as the Larry Flynt Publications or LFP in short. He then made the Hustler Video film studio. Through this film studio, the man started to produce pornographic movies in 1998. Two years after that, he opened the Hustler Casio in Los Angeles. After successfully opening the Hustler Casino in Los Angeles, the film studio owned by him named Hustler Video acquired VCA Pictures in 2003.
Larry Flynt had an autobiography entitled An Unseemly Man: My Life as a Pornographer, Pundit, and Social Outcast. He released it in 1996. Aside from an autobiography, there was a movie made about his life that was released in the same year. The movie named The People vs Larry Flynt starred Woody Harrelson and Courtney Love. Larry Flynt was not the main actor but he did make a cameo in the film. Besides, he also teamed up with a professor from the Columbia University named professor David Eisenback for the book called One Nation Under Sex. The book which talks about the lives of some of the most powerful American leaders was released in 2011.