Jay Leno is a comedian, writer, actor producer and also a former late-night tv host. Are you curious about his net worth? In this article, we are going to tell you a lot of things about Jay Leno including his net worth, early life, career and more things.
Jay Leno’s Net Worth
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Jay Leno’s net worth is $450 million. For years, he did stand up and then he became the host of “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” on NBC from 1992 to 2009. During he became the host of this show, $320 million was earned by him in salary before taxes.
Until now, he still performs a lot of standup shows throughout the year and there was a report that he only lived off this money while saving his NBC salary checks. He has a very valuable car collection. The value of his vehicle stable for his 300 vehicles is at least $100 million.
At the end of his work as the host of The Tonight Show, his annual salary was $15 million. He got his peak salary on Tonight Show for $30 million per year. After the 2011 season, he agreed to a 50% pay cut to help staff get raises and keep their jobs. From his stand up touring schedule, he earns around $10 million per year. It includes more than 200 dates a year. For your information, he never got his salary from Tonight Show throughout his career. Instead, he lived from his income from stand up comedy. Also, he does not have a manager or an agent who helps him to make deal negotiation.
In the list below, you are able to see the details of Jay Leno’s salary.
- In 1992, his salary was $1 million.
- In 1993, his salary was $1 million.
- In 1994, his salary was $3 million.
- In 1995, his salary was $3 million.
- In 1996, his salary was $5 million.
- In 1997, his salary was $5 million.
- In 1998, his salary was $5 million.
- In 1999, his salary was $10 million.
- In 2000, his salary was $12 million.
- In 2001, his salary was $15 million.
- In 2002, his salary was $20 million.
- In 2003, his salary was $20 million.
- In 2004, his salary was $20 million.
- In 2005, his salary was $20 million.
- In 2006, his salary was $20 million.
- In 2007, his salary was $20 million.
- In 2008, his salary was $20 million.
- In 2009, his salary was $30 million.
- In 2010, his salary was $30 million.
- In 2011, his salary was $25 million.
- In 2012, his salary was $15 million.
- In 2013, his salary was $15 million.
So, from the list above, Jay Leno’s total career earnings were $320 million.
Jay Leno’s Early Life
His complete name is James Douglas Muir Leno. He was born on April 28th, 1950 in New Rochelle, New York. His mother was a housewife and his father was an insurance salesman. He has an older brother. His name is Patrick. Jay Leno grew up in Andover, Massachusetts. In 1968, he graduated from Andover High School. From Emerson College, he got a bachelor degree in speech therapy. In 1973, he began a comedy club at his university.
Jay Leno’s Career
On March 2nd, 1977, Jay Leno appeared for the first time on “The Tonight Show” as a featured comedian. During the 1970s, he got some minor roles in films and television shows such as “Fun With Dick and Jane”, “Good Times”, “Alice”, “Laverne & Shirley”, “One Day at a Time” and “American Hot Wax”. Besides, he also appeared on “Late Night with David Letterman”. On that show, he was the featured comedian several times.
Beginning in 1986, he was a regular substitute host for Johnny Carson on “The Tonight Show”. Then, in 1992, he replaced Carson. For years, he continued to perform stand up comedy on “The Tonight Show”. In 2004, a contract extension with NBC was signed by him. This contract was to keep him on “The Tonight Show” until 2009.
In 2009, he decided to step down to retire. However, immediately he went back to tv with a prime talk show named “The Jay Leno Show”. This show aired weeknights on NBC in September 2009. However, in January 2010, it was cancelled.
He has maintained an active schedule as a touring stand-up comedian who appeared in about 2000 live performances a year in venues across the United States and Canada and also charity events and USO tours. Not only that, on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon” and on “Late Night with Seth Meyers”, he has appeared as well. Besides, he also became a guest on the finale of “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson”.
Jay Leno’s Real Estate
In 2017, an oceanfront mansion in Newport, Rhode Island was purchased by Jay Leno. The price was $13.5 million. The estate is known as Seafair and it was established in the 1930s. This home is 15,851 square feet and it sits on 9 acres. It has 12 bedrooms, 12 full bathrooms, and three half-bathrooms. There is also an oceanfront pool and tennis court in this property.
In Bel Air California, Jay Leno also has two homes. The first home was bought in 1987 which is 3,400 square feet and it has five bedrooms. Then, the second property was bought down the hill in 1997.
Not only those properties, Leno also has a hangar in Burbank, California. The hangar is 122,000 square feet and it serves as the garage for most of his collection of cars and motorcycles.
Jay Leno’s Awards
During his career, he got a number of awards as listed below.
- In 1995, he won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series for his show, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
- In 1999, he won the TV Guide Award for Favorite Late Night Show for his show, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
- In 2000, he won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series for his show, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
- In 2011, he won Hasty Pudding Man of the Year.
- and many more.