Denzel Washington is an American actor, screenwriter, producer, director, and Spokesperson. Also, he is a voice actor. You may come to this page to find out some information about him, especially about his net worth. If so, you are at the right page. Here we are going to reveal it.
Denzel Washington’s net worth
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Denzel Washington’s net worth is approximately $280 million as of 2021. Every year he earns $60-$80 million dollars. Denzel Washington is an actor from America, mostly known worldwide for his award-winning portrayals of characters in the film industry. Denzel Washington has won some prestigious awards for his performances, Also, he is a popular director and producer. He has been in the industry film for almost four decades.
Denzel Washington’s Career
Although Denzel Washington returned to New York after a year to pursue acting professionally, he won a full-ride scholarship to the American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco. Previously, he had appeared in some stage shows. But, in the year of 1977, his first on-screen role came with the film made for the television movie Wilma. Some smaller stage and screen roles followed. In 1982, Denzel got his big break, when he got a spot on the successful medical drama St. Elsewhere. Denzel starred as Dr. Phillip Chandler during the show’s six years.
Box Office Hits: Washington’s career rose quickly when he showed off his great talent in movies like The Pelican Brief, Malcolm X, Philadelphia, and Courage Under Fire. Soon he was earning major paychecks for his movie performances. In the year of 1995, he earned $7.5 million for the science fiction film Virtuosity. The films Fallen and The Siege (1998), along with his Oscar-winning performance in 2001’s Training Day, earned him a $12 million each. Right now, Denzel Washington earns upwards of $60 million every year.
Directing and Producing Career: In the year of 2002, Denzel Washington stepped behind the camera to direct Antwone Fisher. Since that, he has directed The Great Debaters (2007) and Fences (2016). Also, he has produced some movies, including The Equalizer, The Book of Eli and some television programs.
Awards and Honors
Here are awards and honors for Denzel Washington:
- In 1988, Denzel Washington received an Oscar nomination for the Best Supporting Actor in the anti-Apartheid film Cry Freedom.
- In 1989, Denzel Washington received an Oscar nomination for the Best Supporting Actor for his performance in Glory.
- In 1992, Denzel Washington received a Best Actor nomination for his performance in Malcolm X.
- In 1999, Denzel Washington was nominated again and also won a Golden Globe for The Hurricane.
- In 2002, Denzel Washington won the Academy Award for the Best Actor for his role in Training Day, becoming only the second African-American actor to win the Best Actor. That year, Denzel also appeared in the Disney football drama Remember the Titans, which earned over $100 million at the box office and made him a Black Reel Award and an NAACP Image Award, both for the Best Actor.
- In 2016, Denzel Washington was presented with the Cecil Demille Lifetime Achievement Award at the Golden Globe Awards.
Although Denzel Washington never finished graduate school, he has received three honorary doctorate degrees.
- In 1991, from his alma mater, Fordham University, Denzel Washington was awarded for having succeeded in exploring the edge of his multifaceted talent.
- In 2007, Denzel Washington was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Humanities from Morehouse College.
- In 2011, Denzel Washington was awarded an honorary Doctor of Arts degree from the University of Pennsylvania.
Denzel Washington’s Early Life
Denzel Hayes Washington or well known as Denzel Washington was born on December 28, 1954 in Mount Vernon, New York. Sadly, when he was 14 years old, his parents divorced. After the divorce, his mother sent him to Oakland Military Academy in New Windsor (New York). Later, the actor would credit that decision for saving his life. Before leaving for military school, Denzel and his closest friends were heading down a bad path. In an interview with Parade Magazine, Denzel said that those friends later went on to serve approximately 40 years in prison, collectively.
Denzel Washington attended Fordham University in New York City, where he played collegiate basketball. He took a semester off to consider his future and find out what his major should be. During that time, Denzel spent a summer working at a YMCA camp. His performance in a camp talent show impressed the campers and his colleagues so that one suggested he try acting. When he came back to Fordham, he began learning drama and graduated with a BA in drama and journalism in 1977.
Denzel Washington’s Personal Life
The first movie of Denzel, sports drama for television Wilma, brought him more than a career break. Also, he met his wife while he was working on the set. In 1983, Denzel married Pauletta Pearson and then the couple had four children. As a devout Christian, Denzel has considered becoming a preacher, even asking if he should leave acting to reach a life in the church. Luckily for his fans, Denzel has decided to stay in Hollywood, but he says that he also still reads the Bible every day.
In the year of 2006, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia asked for help from some American intellectuals and artists including Denzel Washington, Michael Moore and Oliver Stone. They asked them to help ensuring President George Walker Bush to release 600 imprisoned rebels in exchange for 62 hostages being held in Colombia.
Denzel Washington is a Philanthropy
In fact, Denzel Washington has not only kept his popularity and big pay checks to himself, also he has given his support, both financial and personal to many worthy organizations. Since 1993, Denzel Washington has been the spokesperson for the Boys & Girls Club of America and served on its board since 1995. Denzel has given substantial sums to Wiley College, Fordham University, Nelson Mandela’s Children’s Fund, and the Fisher House Foundation.